Glosair™ Healthcare Environmental Decontamination Launched: Spray Mist Decontamination for Rooms, OR Suites
IRVINE, CA (June 27, 2011): Advanced Sterilization Products (ASP) announced today the launch of an infection prevention technology – Glosair™ Healthcare Environmental Decontamination – that provides effective, safe(1) and thorough disinfection of hospital rooms and operating suites to reduce the risk of patient contact with infection-causing pathogens. There is a growing scientific consensus that the patient environment is a key source in the transmission of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs), as routine cleaning of healthcare facilities does not always eliminate pathogens.(2) Use of Glosair to augment manual cleaning processes has been shown to be more effective in the reduction of HAI pathogens as compared to cleaning alone.
“Despite healthcare facilities’ efforts to properly clean and disinfect patient and procedure rooms as well as operating suites, studies show deadly infections borne by pathogens can continue to live on surfaces, such as bed rails, television remotes and IV pumps, and over time infect other patients,” said Dr. William Jarvis, a global expert on HAI control and prevention. “The good news is that infections related to the healthcare environment are almost always preventable and hospitals now have new infection prevention tools to safely and effectively disinfect the patient environment, which can help keep patients safe.”
Glosair Healthcare Environmental Decontamination is the newest technology available to help healthcare facilities improve patient safety, and is the focus of an educational symposium today at the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC) 2011 Conference. The symposium, Progress Toward Improved Healthcare Environmental Decontamination, will educate healthcare professionals on environmental decontamination and Glosair technology, which disinfects by creating a fog of 5 percent hydrogen peroxide that is uniformly dispersed to disinfect all hard nonporous surfaces, including difficult-to-reach areas.
According to the latest scientific research, environmental contamination plays an important role in the transmission of many superbugs that cause infections.(4) Research indicates some microorganisms, such as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Pseudomonas aeruginosa (Pseudomonas) and E. coli, are tougher to eliminate than others and can continue to persist on environmental surfaces after standard cleaning approaches.(5-7)
Healthcare facilities can reduce the number of these pathogens in the hospital environment by introducing enhanced, deep cleaning and disinfection protocols to current practices.(8) Studies show hydrogen peroxide vapor decontamination devices, such as Glosair Systems, are effective at reducing surface contamination by these pathogens and may be associated with a reduction in infection transmission.(9)
The Glosair Healthcare Environmental Decontamination provides effective, safe and thorough disinfection of patient environments, such as patient and hospital rooms as well as operation suites. Glosair disinfects by creating a fog of 5 percent hydrogen peroxide that is uniformly dispersed to all hard nonporous surfaces in the healthcare environment, including difficult-to-reach areas. Use of Glosair Systems to augment manual cleaning processes can provide healthcare facilities and patients with increased confidence that the patient environment has been thoroughly and properly disinfected against many pathogens that cause healthcare-associated infections (HAIs).
About Advanced Sterilization Products (ASP)
Protecting Lives Against Infection™
Advanced Sterilization Products (ASP) is a developer of innovative infection prevention technologies. The company is dedicated to protecting patients, healthcare workers, and the environment with products that focus as much on safety as they do on efficacy and cost-effectiveness. Utilizing advanced instrument processing technologies, these products help customers to promote positive patient outcomes while controlling costs, increasing productivity, and enhancing safety. The company is based in Irvine, California, USA. Please visit ASP at www.ASPJJ.com or follow us on Twitter @ASPJJ.
1. Please read and follow the User's Guide for your GLOSAIR™ System prior to use for important safety information.
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthcare-associated Infection (HAI) Toolkit. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/toolkits/Appendices-Evaluating-Environ-Cleaning.html. Accessed February 16, 2011.
3. Paid consultant for Advanced Sterilization Products.
4. Weber DJ, Rutala WA, Miller MB, Huslage K, Sickbert-Bennett E. Role of hospital surfaces in the transmission of emerging health care-associated pathogens: norovirus, Clostridium difficile, and Acinetobacter species. Am J Infect Control. 2010; 38 (5 Suppl 1): S25-S33.
5. Kramer A, Schwebke I, Kampf G. How long do nosocomial pathogens persist on inanimate surfaces? A systematic review. BMC Infect Dis. 2006; 6: 130.
6. Boyce JM. J Hosp Infect. 2007; 65(Suppl 2): 50-54.
7. Sethu AK, et al. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31(1): 21-27.
8. Hota B. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2004; 39: 1182-9.
9. Boyce JM, Havill NL, Otter JA, et al. Impact of hydrogen peroxide vapor room decontamination on Clostridium difficile environmental contamination and transmission in a healthcare setting. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol.2008; 29 (8): 723-729.
10. Please read and follow the User's Guide for your Glosair System prior to use for important safety information.