Intended to provide an all-inclusive day of clinical information, the September 6, 2013, “Heart of a Sooner” symposium featured presentations from all aspects of cardiovascular care. CMEs and CEUs were offered, and the program was free to healthcare providers.
Norman Regional Health System President and CEO, David Whittaker, opened the seminar at the Norman Regional Education Center in Norman with welcoming remarks before introducing Cabinet Secretary of Oklahoma’s Health and Human Services Dr. Terry Cline. Dr. Cline presented a lecture on the “Getting to the Heart of the Matter: The State of the State’s Health.” Additional guest speakers included:
- Dr. TaySha Howell, “Flow and Toe: Diabetic Limb Salvage”;
- Dr. Archana Gautam, “Endovascular Treatment of Peripheral Vascular Disease”;
- Dr. Sukesh Burjonroppa, “Drug Eluting Stents and the Diabetic Patient”
- Dr. Katherine Hays, “Syncope Treatment & Strategies”;
- Dr. Molly Szerlip, “Use of Impella in Aortic Stenosis”;
- Dr. Timothy Cathey, Amy Baden, RN, BSN, “The Current Acute Cardiac Response System in Oklahoma”;
- Dr. Paul Ayers, “Carotid Stenting Strategies”;
- Dr. Noah Israel, “Venous Ablation”;
- Dr. Kyle Toal, “Endovascular/Surgical Interventions”; Dual track sessions included:
- Dr. Muhammad Salim “Physicians: Case studies”;
- Kyle Hurley, “12-Lead EKG Interpretation”
- Dr. Muhammad Anwar, “Pacemakers/ICDs”.
Vendors from Medtronic, Spectranetics, Covidien, Abbott, Maquet, Abiomed, Cook, Spacelabs, CSI, St. Jude Medical, AstraZeneca, Merck, Zoll, and Daiichi Sankyo all sponsored the event, and were given space for demonstration of their products. Breakout sessions were held in the adjoining boardrooms on a variety of topics.
The lunch hour featured a presentation by Jay Wilkinson, author and son of former University of Oklahoma football Coach Bud Wilkinson. Mr. Wilkinson delivered a motivational message titled “Winning the Wilkinson Way.”
In her closing remarks, Norman Regional Education unit manager Sara Hildenbrand thanked the audience and faculty of Norman Regional Health System for their participation and individually recognized several key members of the seminar.