2. Clinical alert: benefit of carotid endarterectomy for patients with high-grade stenosis of the internal carotid artery. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Stroke and Trauma Division. North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial (NASCET) investigators. Stroke 1991; 22:816-817.
3. Beneficial effect of carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients with high-grade carotid stenosis. North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial Collaborators. N Engl J Med 1991; 325:445-453.
4. Endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis. Executive Committee for the Asymptomatic Carotid Atherosclerosis Study. JAMA 1995; 273:1421-1428.
5. Hobson RW, Weiss DG, Fields WS, et al. Efficacy of carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid stenosis. The Veterans Affairs Cooperative Study Group. N Engl J Med 1993; 328:221-227.
6. Hallett JW, Pietropaoli JA, Ilstrup DM, Gayari MM, Williams JA, Meyer FB. Comparison of North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial and population-based outcomes for carotid endarterectomy. J Vasc Surg 1998; 27:845-850; discussion 851.
7. Gelabert HA, Moore WS. Carotid endarterectomy without angiography. Surg Clin North Am 1990; 70:213-223.
8. Kuntz KM, Skillman JJ, Whittemore AD, Kent KC. Carotid endarterectomy in asymptomatic patients is contrast angiography necessary? A morbidity analysis. J Vasc Surg 1995; 22:706-714; discussion 714-716.
9. Shifrin EG, Bornstein NM, Kantarovsky A, et al. Carotid endarterectomy without angiography. Br J Surg 1996; 83:1107-1109.
10. Cronenwett JL, Birkmeyer JD, Nackman GB, et al. Cost-effectiveness of carotid endarterectomy in asymptomatic patients. J Vasc Surg 1997; 25:298-309; discussion 310-1.
11. Hill BB, Olcott C, Dalman RL, Harris, EJ, Zarins CK. Reoperation for carotid stenosis is as safe as primary carotid endarterectomy. J Vasc Surg 1999; 30:26-35.
12 Hoyne RF. Review of 272 consecutive carotid endarterectomies in a smaller community. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1990; 170:522-526.
13 Yates GN, Bergamini TM, George SM, Hamman JL, Hyde GL, Richardson JD. Carotid endarterectomy results from a state vascular society. Kentucky Vascular Surgery Society Study Group. Am J Surg 1997; 173:342-344.
14. Mayo SW, Eldrup-Jorgensen J, Lucas FL, Wennberg DE, Bredenberg CE. Carotid endarterectomy after NASCET and ACAS: A statewide study. North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial. Asymptomatic Carotid Artery Stenosis Study. J Vasc Surg1998; 27:1017-1022; discussion 1022-3.
15. Jordan WD, Voellinger DC, Doblar DD, Plyushcheva NP, Fisher WS, McDowell HA. Microemboli detected by transcranial Doppler monitoring in patients during carotid angioplasty versus carotid endarterectomy. Cardiovasc Surg 1999; 7:33-38.
16. Vale FL, Fisher WS, Jordan WD, Palmer CA, Vitek J. Carotid endarterectomy performed after progressive carotid stenosis following angioplasty and stent placement. Case report. J Neurosurg 1997; 87:940-943.